Extra Steps to Take with House Guests
Visitors and houseguests are one of the most common ways to spread bed bugs. Unfortunately this is increased around the holidays because we have family and friends visit and kids have play dates while on break from school.
- If you have overnight guests, always strip the beds when they leave. All bedding, blankets and pillows should be dried on high heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Limit any extra bedding, blankets, decorative pillows, etc.
- Keep clutter to a minimum in bedrooms and in areas around furniture especially couches and chairs.
- Vacuum furniture thoroughly after guests leave. Get into the cracks and crevices of couches and chairs, and the trim seam around mattresses.
Reducing Your Bed Bug Risks from Travel
- If you’ve traveled for the holidays, avoid bringing your bags into the house until you have time to unpack items and throw clothing directly into the dryer on high heat for 30 minutes.
- While traveling, store luggage on a luggage rack or other hard surface.
- Keep an eye out for evidence of bed bugs at the places you are staying. This can be mattress covers, bed bug traps at the legs of furniture, signs of rashes or bites or actual live bugs. See the 4 top signs of bed bugs here.
IF You Have Bed Bugs, Protect Family and Friends
- Avoid hosting gatherings. Unfortunately, your house should be off limits for the holiday season. Ask a family member or friend to host, or opt to go to a public location to celebrate the festivities.
- Take precautions every time you leave the house. Limit what you take with you, and stick with wearing and taking items that can be thrown into the dryer on high heat for 30 minutes. Before you leave the house, dry your clothing and coat on high heat, get dressed and leave immediately without sitting on furniture before you head out the door. This reduces the risk of you taking a live bed bug with you.
- Stick with your treatment plan and scheduled appointments. We know the holidays can be crazy, but it’s important to prioritize your bed bug treatment process and ensure success by sticking with your treatment schedule and the recommended maintenance and cleaning tasks.
The holidays can be a perfect storm for bed bugs, but staying vigilant can protect your house and protect your loved ones! If you suspect you may have been exposed to bed bugs, give us a call to talk about the process and bed bug treatment options.